BA, LLB (Hons)
Blair Edwards is the founder of Edwards Law – Employment Law Specialists. He has an honours degree in law and Bachelor of Arts degree in English and History.
Having practised employment law for many years in one of New Zealand’s largest law firms, Blair joined the independent bar as a barrister sole in 2008, before going on to establish Edwards Law – Employment Law Specialists, New Zealand’s largest firm of barristers specialising in employment law.
With significant experience in employment relations, Blair gives practical advice on all contentious and non-contentious legal and human resource issues that arise in your workplace.
Blair assists clients to prevent employment problems from arising and represents clients when employment relationships have broken down.
Blair regularly attends mediations, Employment Relations Authority investigation meetings, and hearings in the Employment Court. Blair has also appeared in the District Court, the Accident Compensation Review Authority, District Court – ACC Appeals, and the Court of Appeal.
Known for rigorously representing clients, Blair has had many career highlights, including the following recent cases:
Successfully representing Target International (NZ) Limited in an application to strike out the details of a without prejudice conversation between the employer and employee. employmentcourt.govt.nz/assets/Documents/Decisions/2019-NZEmpC-89-Martinsen-v-Target-International-NZ-Ltd-Interlocutory-Judgment.pdf
Which confirmed that forensic searches of witness’ personal computers and cloud-based email systems can be ordered by the Employment Relations Authority. employment.govt.nz/assets/elawpdf/2018/1391bc7406/2018-NZERA-Auckland-218.pdf
The issuance of a non-publication order for Edwards Law’s client (DKR).
The successful defence of Mr McKeown’s claims against Universal Communications Group when he was dismissed by way of redundancy.
Acting for Mr Dangi in his successful defence of claims that he had breached his restraint of trade, Ecommbi was ordered to pay a penalty of $4,000 to Mr Dangi for failing to pay his expenses and final holiday pay.
Blair also has vast experience in assisting clients with health and safety issues in the workplace and advises employers, contractors, and employees on their health and safety obligations. Blair is also an experienced:
- independent workplace investigator; and
- mediator (Resolution Institute trained).
Blair is a regular presenter and commentator on a wide range of employment law and workplace issues. He is also a contributing author to the Lexis Nexis Employment Law Bulletin (NZ).
- the Practice Area Specialist in Employment Law for the College of Law (New Zealand);
- a World Rugby Judicial Officer;
- a member of the Waikato Rugby Union Judicial Panel/Appeals Committee for disciplinary matters;
- Founding Trustee of the charity, Pet Refuge Charitable Trust (NZ);
- Club Secretary for Karapiro Kayak Racing Club;
- Board Member/Trustee on the Southwell School Trust Board
- Committee Member on Southwell School Old Boys and Girls Association;
- Committee Member on New Zealand Law Society Waikato/Bay of Plenty Employment Law Committee;
- a member of the:
- Auckland District Law Society;
- New Zealand Law Society; and
- Employment Law Institute.