Now for the details
Edwards Law is bound by the NZ Privacy Act 1993, which will be replaced by the Privacy Act 2020 (from 1 December 2020). For more information, visit www.privacy.org.nz.
Collection and use of personal information
Edwards Law collects limited personal information that personally identifies you (“Personal Information”) such as: (i) name, mailing and email addresses; (ii) residential address, city, state, postcode, area code, gender, age, purchase history, date and place of purchase. If you communicate with us by e-mail, or complete online forms, surveys or contest entries, any information provided in such communication may be collected as Personal Information. For example, we may request personal information from you when you:
- contact us for further information;
- participate in surveys and other types of research;
enter a promotion;
- subscribe to our mailing list;
- register your details on our web site;
- ask for a quote to be prepared; and/ or
- express interest in a particular product or service.
Other information we may collect
For statistical purposes we collect anonymous information on web site activity (such as top pages viewed, the number of pages viewed, the number of sessions, most popular session times). We use this data to evaluate our web site performance and to improve the content we display to you.
To evaluate the effectiveness of our online advertising (including click throughs from email marketing), we may use third parties to collect statistical data. No personal information is collected on these occasions.
Edwards Law may use tracking technologies such as cookies to recognise your browser each time it visits our site, and to track which pages you visit whilst on our site. We may use this information to optimise our site and create a better online experience for you.
Cookies are pieces of information that a web site transfers to a computer’s hard disk for record keeping purposes. Most web browsers are set to accept tracking technologies such as cookies. These tracking technologies do not themselves personally identify users, although they do identify a user’s browser. However, if you do not wish to receive any cookies, you may set your browser to refuse them.
Third-party vendors, including Google, show our ads on sites on the internet.
Alternatively, you can opt-out of cookies by visiting the Network Advertising Initiative opt-out page: http://www.networkadvertising.org/managing/opt_out.asp
How we use your information
Edwards Law uses your information to better understand your exact needs and provide you with better service. Edwards Law may share your Personal Information amongst related bodies corporate of Edwards Law.
Edwards Law may also use your Personal Information:
- to deal with your queries or customer service issues promptly whether by email, telephone or mail. We may also keep information on your communications with our customer service representatives.
- to keep you up-to-date with products, services, events or promotions we think would be of particular interest through a variety of channels. You will be able to “opt-out” from this activity at any time.
- to enhance your customer experience and help us complete your transactions faster.
- for planning, product development or research purposes.
Disclosure of personal information
We will only send Personal Information to third party organisations when:
- we have your consent to share the information;
- we need to share your information in order to provide the product or service you have requested;
- we need to send your information to companies that are contracted to Edwards Law, e.g. mailing houses, IT service providers, service providers (e.g. assemblers, repairers), web developers, marketing agencies, finance companies;
- we are required or authorised by law to disclose the information; or
- a receiving agency outside of New Zealand has comparable privacy safeguards to those in the Privacy Act 2020.
Such information remains under Edwards Law custodianship at all times and the agents involved are bound by specific confidentiality and non-disclosure agreements.
If Edwards Law has a privacy breach that it believes has caused (or is likely to cause) serious harm, or a receiving overseas agency does not have comparable privacy safeguards, Edwards Law will notify the Office of the Privacy Commissioner and affected individuals as soon as possible.
Access and correction
You can have access to the personal information we hold about you. Our goal is to ensure that your personal information is accurate, complete and up-to-date. To assist us with this, please contact our Privacy Officer (Blair Edwards, Managing Barrister) at firstname.lastname@example.org if any of the details you have provided change. Further, if you believe that the information we have about you is not accurate, contact us and we will use all reasonable efforts to correct the information. A $25 administration fee will be charged for the retrieval of personal information to cover our costs. No fee applies to the correction of personal information.
Third-party web sites
Links to third-party web sites on www.edwardslaw.co.nz are provided solely as a convenience to you. If you use these links, you will leave Edwards Law’s site. Edwards Law is not responsible for any of these sites, their content or their usage of your personal information.
At Edwards Law we only want to communicate with you if you want to hear from us. If you would like to unsubscribe from receiving email newsletters, promo’s etc, you can do so at any time, for any reason.
Edwards Law is committed to ensuring the security of your personal information and we will take all reasonable precautions to protect this information from loss, misuse or alteration.
Changes to this statement